Saturday, August 05, 2006

oh silly me

Sure, in childhood and adolescence, I had poison ivy every summer. Big old breakouts that my mother fought with calamine lotion until I was a walking sticky pink thing. But it's been years, like 25 years, since my last case of poison ivy. And you know how it is - when it's not happening to you, it doesn't exist. I mean, if you had asked me last year, I would have made up some factoid about how poison ivy was on the wane, the plants dying out, or let you know that poison ivy doesn't exist in Minnesota purely due to my clean unweepy skin for 25 years.

After a week of slow spreading and no change, I went to the doctor's office today. Poison ivy, I am told, is as common as dirt. Every summer lots of cases every day. She unblinkingly gave me heavy duty steroids, sent me home with benadryl and told me it would be fine in 24 hours.

Once again, a Leo finds out that she isn't special. Such a sucky thing, on your birthday no less.

3 comments:

Vikki said...

My mother once had systemic poison ivy. She burned live plants and inhaled it. It was quite something to behold. I've never had it and hope never to have it which is why I wouldn't hug you this morning...even though you were wearing pajamas and a robe. I still love you though...

Kristin said...

Where on earth did you get poison ivy?

Susan said...

at beth's cabin in wisconsin. i thought i was careful, i thought i was careful, i thought i was careful.