Sunday, January 14, 2007

Proud mama

Last summer, Luca had the idea of raising dollars to help endangered animals (a word she still sometimes mispronounces as ingendered). A combination of factors - a fundraising mama, two parents who are slightly obsessed about what it means to responsibly raise a privileged child, reading the book Alex's lemonade stand, and multiple trips to the zoo led Luca to consider raising bucks for animals. In this case, the Hyacinth Macaw - an endangered bird living in the Brazilian Amazon.

So, rather than explain it all here, the zoo did a story on it. Go here to Zoo Tracks, download it, and read page three. http://www.mnzoo.com/zootracks/

And yeah, we're so very proud and it is embarrassing to be this proud. I haven't felt something like this before - I mean, I'm proud of Luca, but this kind of public "look at my kid" pride. I always feel a little bit squeamish, a bit embarrassed or uncomfortable when people say too many nice things about Luca. Because I certainly don't get that from my mother and because I am certainly far more transcended and child-separated than to assume that kind words about Luca are kind words about me (snort), I usually just assume it's some ancient Sicilian ancestor, drawing a grimace and holding her fingers up in the horn, croaking "mal occhio, mal occhio." You know, bad luck to draw attention to a child because then someone will zap her with the evil eye.

But here I am, doing it. So if you're going to send the evil eye somewhere, send it at me.

5 comments:

Vikki said...

I'm glad the brown is gone. I'm glad you are blogging. I'm glad I know Luca :)

Kristin said...

Luca is an awesome kid. I am pretty sure it is because of my influence.

Anonymous said...

hey susan
what a great article about Luca!!!
that was a fun weekend...i asm thinking that all of the positive comments to Luca will hopfully sustain her if at some point in her life she needs them more? anyway.....
i am a lurker not a blogger
i suppose i could get into writing my own blog about politics & current issues etc.
but the personal stuff - that freaks me out...
i cannot believe
(i am not speaking of anyone who would read this :))some of the stuff people put out there for anyone and all to read...
peace & love
leigh

Anonymous said...

ok
my mom told me this weekend
honey you have to check your spelling before you send out emails
so i did not this time
and i will do better at this
i am n ot dumb and i can spell
i am just in a hurry
i am working here!
peace
leigh

Emptyman said...

You should be proud. Good for her. It's amazing what a supportive and loving home can help someone accomplish.