Monday, January 22, 2007

A call to white anti-racist parents

I've been skimming and browsing a website at www.antiracistparent.com for awhile. It's a good website in that it's one of the few out there that seems to be overtly for parents talking about raising their children within the lens of antiracism. It took me awhile to realize that the majority of the children were children of color and that the parents were a mix of parents of color and white parents (some with adopted children of color some with bioborn children of color). I'm not sure why it took me awhile - except that I think I was just so happy to see a space with an overt discussion of race, racism and parenting.

Anyhow, out of this space and out of some of the conversations on the website has grown a new blog called http://whiteantiracistparent.blogspot.com Literally just started - there is an introductory post and then I wrote something in the comments - it intends to be a discussion point for white parents raising white children who are thinking hard about race, racism and white privilege. A linked discussion to one that is taking place on antiracistparent.com but slightly separate as, hopefully, a pile of white folks roll up their shirtsleeves and try to think - together - about what it means to raise the children we love, with their joys and innocence, and who are already benefiting daily from their whiteness.

So join the discussion! Post something!!

1 comment:

Tereza said...

Hello Susan,

Thanks for the comment you sent my way! I'm very excited to get this blog rolling. I actually wanted to see if you'd be interested in becoming a member/(ir?)regular contributor to the white antiracist parent blog. If so, please drop me an email at warpblog at gmail dot com. Then I can use your email address to sign you up and give you your very own password! Thanks so much for your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!! - Tereza