Friday, February 03, 2006

oh dear, it was obvious


Isn't it funny how you can feel completely homesick after seeing something that has nothing to do with home at all? Yes, watching Brokeback Mountain, the high plains of Wyoming, sheep herding, two highly closeted and confused rugged cowboys - why did this movie make me feel homesick for the States rather than reflective of the life of homoeroticized rural men in the 1960s? I mean, why Brokeback Mountain and not Friends or any of the other English language US based television I've seen while watching here.

But it did - make me feel homesick. That camera sweeping in on the rolling hills leading up to the mountains, those high valleys, those horses: there I was, stuck in the romance of the American frontier and getting completely choked up by someone else's unreal experience.

And it spilled into my first post - something I intended to be pithy and intelligent and warm and wise. Instead, a beating fist against the chest calling out "I want my mommy."

3 comments:

Kristin said...

There you go...hit your stride or you seem back in the saddle, if you will ;)

Vikki said...

Actually the comment by Kristin above is by Vikki. I was doing a little editing for her on her blog and didn't realize that I was still logged in as her. Oops...

Kristin said...

Vikki is hacking into my system.
Your tax dollars at work.